Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade Liquid Body/Hand Soap

So I have been thumbing through Google for a while now looking for a nice EASY recipe for homemade soap.  Any related to laundry soap looked a bit to complicated for my taste and then I started coming across hand and body soap ideas.  CAN YOU SAY EASY!  Everything I used is pictured in the photo below and I've now given myself a pat on the back for all the money I will be saving my family over the course of our lives.  On average we spend $4.00 on each hand soap (multiply by 3 since we have two bathrooms and one in the kitchen) and for body soap we spend about $5.00.  That's approximately $17.00 a month in soap......ugh!  Below I have a bar of Yardley Oatmeal & Almond bar soap (from Walmart) $.97, a bottle of Glycerin (from the band aid section at Walmart) $3.50, a 1 gallon container (from my cupboard but can be purchased at Walmart for just over $2.00) a cutting board, and grater.  So far I have racked up just under $4.50 and I have an entire gallon of soap for my family to use (Dear God, Please don't let my family go through the entire gallon in a month)  Simple instructions follow below.


Heat one gallon of water in a kettle on your stove to luke-warm (enough to dissolve soap fast)  Grate one bar of soap (your choice of the scent/brand etc) and mix into kettle.  Add two Tablespoons of Glycerin in kettle and stir until all of soap flakes are dissolved.

Your mixture should resemble the above picture.  Remove from heat and let cool completely to room temperature.  This could take 10 hours or so.  You will notice the mixture start to become gelled as it cools.  My husband was worried that the kettle and pretty much everything else in the house was going to taste like soap for eternity, but I assure you (and him) that the scent and soap flavor will not remain ;)
I like to take my hand mixer when it is completely cooled and stir until it has a smooth consistency-like your regular hand or body soap.  Pour into a gallon size container for storage and refill soap containers as needed.  Sit back, relax, and relish in the fact you have just saved enough money to justify your run to the coffee shop a couple times this week!
*Helpful Hint: when pouring into my narrow mouthed container I cut the bottom off of an empty milk jug and turned it upside down to use a funnel.  It works like a charm. 





No comments:

Post a Comment